All mothers care not only about the health of their children, but also about their development and academic performance. In kindergarten, there are usually no problems with training, because in most cases development occurs during a game that does not require high concentration and focus. Nevertheless, from the very first weeks or months of classes in junior school, problems with memory and attentiveness may begin. We will tell you why this is happening and how to improve your child’s mind and memory.
Unfortunately, very intensive training in such situation can rather harm than benefit. It is important to understand why there were problems, because of which school performance fell, complaints about inattention and memory appeared, and intellectual development did not happen as intensively as at the beginning of the training. There are several reasons.
School load. All children in our country go to school at approximately the same age – starting from 6 to 7 years. At the same time, parents know that one six-year-old or seven-year-old child is already quite “grown-up”, ripe for intellectual load, well tolerates physical activity, quickly navigates in different situations, knows how to express their opinions and state their needs – so, he/she is psychologically and physically ready for school life. At the same time, another child at that age remains a “child”: he/she does not “catch everything on the fly”, thinks a lot before answering the question, needs the presence of parents or loved ones, is timid when communicating with strangers, cannot be concentrated to do one thing for a long time and is physically tired. To such a child, even if by age he/she is already a schoolboy/schoolgirl, it is rather difficult to adapt to school life.
When we talk about load, we mean not only the new knowledge that a schoolchild receives. The concept of school loads includes various aspects:
Constant stress. However, it may sound sad, even children of primary school age are constantly under the influence of stress. This is due to the stresses, which we have already mentioned, as well as about certain “pressure” that the child feels on the part of the school and parents. The child is asked from the first days of school how things are in the classroom, they control how successful the tasks are, they say that one needs to study well, often compare one child with other children or give someone an example (which, from the point of view of psychology, is a mistake).
Deficiency of nutrients, vitamins and minerals in the baby’s nutrition. This problem is familiar to many parents: some children do not like some products, some families cannot afford them in the season (for example, fresh vegetables and fruit)… As a result, the body of a young schoolchild experiencing load, stress, and at the same time intensively growing, constantly feels deficiency of the substances necessary for growth and development. Some of them are directly related to intellectual development, memory and attention – like, for example, polyunsaturated fatty acids Omega-3.
Resuming abovementioned information, it is clear that too intensive classes that do not correspond to the child’s psychological, physical and intellectual development can rather damage than improve the memory and attention of the schoolchildren. A child learns badly in many cases, not because he/she does little, is lazy or capricious, but because his/her body does not get everything necessary for the normal function of the brain.
Note: teachers and parents often talk about children’s attention deficit disorder in those cases when the child is simply more active than others are or requires more physical exertion.
Now we know about the reasons that cause problems with the adaptation and achievement in younger schoolchildren. This will help us formulate ways to solve this common problem.
1. Make sure that your schoolchild has enough time spent in the open air, actively resting. Rest for every child is not viewing of cartoons or game in a tablet, but riding a bicycle, dancing, visiting the pool. Physical stress is important for health; it allows the child to escape from school and helps to ensure that fatigue, which provides a sound sleep.
2. Take care that your child has sufficient sleep. At the age of six to seven years, the normal duration of the night’s sleep for a child is about 9 hours. Going to bed and getting up at the same time – this simple rule helps your child stay energetic during the day and it is easier to keep active his/her attention.
3. Classes should be interesting. You cannot guarantee fun in the lessons at school, but you are able to supplement boring school information, with live interesting details. Be engaged with the child by needlework, make something, and at the same time tell about that seemed boring or difficult to remember for your child in school.
4. Remember that your children’s organism receives high-quality nutrition and support it with vitamins and microelements. In diet, there are also very important polyunsaturated Omega-3 acids. They are not for nothing called “vitamins for intelligence”. If Omega-3 enters the child’s body in sufficient quantity, it provides an opportunity to be resistant to stress, improves mindfulness and memory, helps a small schoolchild concentrate, facilitates memorization of new material, helps overcome children’s attention deficit disorder.
5. Load should correspond to the degree of psychological, mental and physical maturity of the child. Do not hurry to give it to school in six years just because it is done in the families of your friends. The child is inattentive often not because he/she is lazy, but because he/she is simply not ready for load.
Knowing these simple rules, you will help your child to adapt more quickly to school rhythm and are unlikely to hear complaints about poor school performance or memory problems concerning your child. Health to you and your children!
Деякі вважають, що регулярний прийом вітамінів може спричиняти звикання. І багато хто переконаний, що постійне вживання овочів і фруктів рятує від дефіциту необхідних речовин. Ми розвіємо найпоширеніші міфи про вітаміни та вітамінно-мінеральні комплекси.Read more
Поганий апетит може стати причиною дефіциту вітамінів і мікроелементів та погіршити стан дитини. Цю проблему можна вирішити за допомогою комплексних вітамінно-мінеральних препаратів для дітей.Read more
Parents of pupils are concerned about the performance of their children, worrying about how to enhance concentration and memorization while studying – we all do care about our children’s grades, don’t we?Read more